Deans’ Awards & Hooding Ceremony
Cathedral of Praise
May 15, 2015
Please arrive with your hooders at the Cathedral of Praise no later than 3:00 p.m. on Friday and report directly to your robing area (Large Choir Room). There will be brief instructions given to you at that time. Your hooders will be escorted to reserved seats. Please notify your family the doors to the Cathedral of Praise will open at 4:00 p.m.
Platform Guests -New Members Room
Graduates -Choir Room
Directional Signage will be provided for your convenience.
Suggested parking is in the general lot located on the right side of the Cathedral of Praise. Entry from the main doors on the lower level will provide access to the elevator if needed.
The attire for this ceremony will be Business Dress. Allow us to reiterate that a processional and recessional is a very formal, dignified event, please be mindful of what you wear under the robe. Brightly colored clothing is not deemed appropriate. You are about to be conferred a terminal degree. Your dress should be representative of such.
- Gentlemen: Dress trousers and shoes in a dark color, preferably shirt and tie. Because your robe will cover your jacket, you do not have to wear one.
- Ladies: Professional dress either with trousers or dress of solid color. It is not professional to have brightly colored, printed material flowing from under the robe. You will be walking up and down steps. Therefore, you may want to wear shoes in which you are able to move about comfortably and freely.
- Dr. Davis will serve as our ceremony Grand Marshal.
- After you have been placed in line, you will follow the processional to the Cathedral of Praise vestibule. For those sitting on the front row of your school, leave the last seat on that row empty (reserved – faculty marshal).
- Your faculty marshals will lead you in and direct you to your proper seating area –please pay close attention to their direction. The Marshalls for each school are: Dr. Ochieng (SOGSR), Dr. Miller-Hughes (SOM) and Dr. Gray (SOD).
Calling of Names
- Names will be called in alphabetical order by school. The order of the schools will be: School of Graduate Studies and Research, School of Dentistry and School of Medicine.
- The Associate Deans of each school will call the names.
- You will follow the appointed staff or volunteer to the rear of the auditorium and down the aisle to proceed on stage. Please wait for your name to be called.
- When on arrive on stage you will be greeted by your Dean; once you greet your Dean then proceed to be hooded. Your hooders will already be stationed to receive you; be mindful to stop at the “X”, face the audience, and stoop to be hooded. Once you’ve been hooded Dr. Davis will give the signal to exit the stage where indicated.
Following the benediction, you will be instructed to stand, beginning with the first row, follow the faculty marshal to the Cathedral of Praise lobby. Proceed down the hallway to the reception area. Once all graduates have been released, then the audience will be dismissed and invited to join the reception.
Please remember that your hood is a part of your full regalia. Please remember to bring it to Commencement on Saturday, May 16, 2015.
140th Commencement Ceremony
Gaylord Resort & Convention Center
May 16, 2015
Parking and Robing Information
2015 Commencement Program
The Meharry Medical College 140th Commencement Ceremony officially starts at 10:00 a.m., Saturday, May 16, 2015 at the Gaylord Resort & Convention Center. Faculty, Staff and Graduates marching in the processional will need to arrive by 8:00 am. The doors to the general public with access to Delta Ballroom A will open at 9:00 a.m. and no one will be admitted until the doors officially open. Seating is unreserved on the main level except where specified, so it will be first come, first accommodated. Placeholding in the general seating area will not be permitted.
Designated Robing Areas
Again, Faculty, Staff and Graduates marching in the processional should arrive at the Grand Ole Opry between 8:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. Robing Rooms are as follows:
Faculty, Staff & 25/50 Year Alums -Delta Ballroom D
Graduates -Delta Ballroom C
Board of Trustee and Platform Guests -Delta Ballroom B
Only 25/50 year and above Alumni, and Meharry Staff, working on Commencement, will have access to the ballroom main floor prior to the start of the ceremony. Areas will be designated for each respective school. Directional signage will be provided for your convenience.
Grand Rehearsal will be held on Tuesday, May 12th at 8:30 a.m. Please be reminded that Grand Rehearsal is mandatory for all graduates, however, it is open to your guest.
Attire for Graduates
The attire for the Commencement Ceremony is Business. Regalia must be returned within 1 hour at the end of the program. Diplomas will be issued upon regalia return.
Decorum of Family, Friends and Guests
Meharry staff and ushers are prepared to extend the Meharry tradition of respect and politeness to all our guests. Graduates are requested to ask that family members and friends also be respectful of Meharry staff and ushers as well as the rules established for this event.
Parking for graduates, administration, alumni, and guest will be located in the general parking area of the Opry Mills Complex at no cost to you. There will be shuttles provided from the general parking area to the entrance of the Delta Portico. Families who charter Buses (not vans) should use the designated area for buses at Opry Mills Mall. This area is located near the Gibson Showcase.
Guests in Wheelchairs
If you have a family member or guest who is in a wheelchair then he/she will park in the handicap spaces provided. There will be shuttles provided from the general parking area to the entrance of the Delta Portico. Once your guests arrive at the Gaylord Resort & Convention Center entrance he/she will be escorted to a special area of the ballroom for seating.
The professional photographers on duty will take 2 photographs of each graduate, you will receive information at the May 12th Grand Rehearsal about how copies of photographs may be purchased.