Eligibility and Application Process
Eligibility and Requirements
Dentists who meet the following criteria are eligible for admission to this program, upon submission of the information listed. The Program admits only one (1) resident each academic term. The following information should be submitted to the program Director for review and then forwarded to the Selection Committee (Admissions Committee):
- Degree from an institution in the United States or Canada accredited by the respective Commission on Dental Accreditation.
- Official dental school transcript
- Copy of Part II score on the National Board of Dental Examiners
- Three (3) letters of recommendation (one letter from the Dean of the School of Dentistry)
- Appearance for personal interview
- A state Dental License or certifications by a Regional Licensure Board is required prior to the third year.
- The completed Program Application Form
The admission procedure is an orderly process that will provide the Admissions Committee (Selection Committee) with the information needed, and eliminates variability and inequities in the resident selection process. The Selection Committee is comprised of basic science and clinical science faculty.
- Upon receipt of a Letter of Inquiry about the Advanced Education Program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Meharry, the applicant is sent an Application Form or the applicants may apply online here.
- The application form is the instrument utilized initially to document program qualification.
- A Resident Screening Form is completed and submitted, along with the applicant's folder, to the Program Director for his/her review.
- Candidates are invited for interview only if the applicant folder is complete.
The Selection Committee meets in October, November, and December to interview applicants for admission. The selected applicant is notified in writing. Other applicants are sent a letter of thanks for applying to our program.
For additional information, please contact:
Leslie Halpern, M.D., D.D.S., Ph.D., M.P.H.
Lenore D. Hamilton
Residency Coordinator, Division of Graduate Programs
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Program
1005 Dr. D.B. Todd, Jr. Boulevard
Nashville, Tennessee 37208