Evidence-based Medicine Databases
The Meharry Medical College Library provides access to a combination of subscribed and publicly available electronic databases and journals.
- UpToDate Clinical Reference – (Subscribed resource) UpToDate® is an evidence-based knowledge system authored by physicians to help clinicians make the right decisions at the point of care. All UpToDate content is written and edited by a global community of physicians, world-renowned experts in their specialties. Supported by a staff of in-house physician editors, these authors follow a rigorous editorial process, continually reviewing the content to ensure it is of the highest quality and based on the latest evidence.
- Medscape Reference – (Free resource) Medscape Reference is a free clinical resource. The Medscape Reference includes: eMedicine articles; free registration; free mobile app; Free CME. Medscape Reference provides free, comprehensive, and current medical condition, surgery, procedure, and drug articles with presentation, diagnosis, treatment …
- EBM Reviews - ACP Journal Club – (Subscribed resource) ACP Journal Club contains enhanced abstracts of methodologically sound and clinically relevant research studies published in major clinical journals, along with commentary of the applicability of each study’s results in clinical practice.
- EBM Reviews - Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CCTR) - (Subscribed resource). As part of the Evidence Based Medicine Reviews Collection, this bibliographic database contains over 300,000 references of controlled or randomized controlled trials. The records within this database are searchable and include those trials indexed in Medline, EMBASE and those chosen by Cochrane and other contributors.
- EBM Reviews - Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (DSR) - (Subscribed resource) The EBM Reviews - Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (DSR) Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews contains full-text systematic reviews on various topics in medicine. Prepared by the Cochrane Collaboration, the reviews are presented as complete reviews or protocols for reviews underway. Users are able to search fields and browse topics within the database. There are links from source references to Medline and Ovid Full Text.
- EBM Reviews - Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects (DARE) – (Subscribed resource) DARE is a full-text database that contains brief critical assessments of systematic reviews and meta-analyses in areas such as diagnosis, prevention, rehabilitation, screening, and treatment.
Evidence-Based Medicine Journals
- Clinical Medicine and Research (Free resource)
- Evidence-Based Child Health: a Cochrane Review Journal (Subscribed resource)
- Evidence-Based Dentistry (Subscribed resource)
- Evidence-Based Medicine (Subscribed resource)
- International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare (Subscribed resource)
- Journal of Evidence Based Dental Practice (Subscribed resource)
Additional Evidence-based Medicine Resources
- National Guideline Clearinghouse – (Free resource) The National Guideline Clearinghouse (NGC) provides structured abstracts of more than 2,000 health guidelines developed by federal agencies and national and international medical associations and organizations. Developed by the Agency for HealthCare Research and Quality, the clearinghouse offers PDA downloads side-by-side guideline comparisons, links to full-text when available, and a searchable annotated bibliography database.
- Agency for HealthCare Research & Quality – (Free resource) The website of the Agency for HealthCare Research and Quality organizes and provides clinical information, data & surveys, consumer health, public health preparedness information, quality assessment tools, and funding opportunities for healthcare and public policy decision makers.
- Health Services/Technology Assessment Text – (Free resource) Developed by the National Library of Medicine, Health Services/Technology Assessment Text (HSTAT) is a searchable collection of large, full-text clinical practice guidelines, technology assessments, quick-reference guides for clinicians, consumer health brochures, evidence reports, and health information.
Calculate by QxMD – (Free resource) "Calculate’ is a next-generation clinical calculator and decision support tool for iPhone, iPad, Android and BlackBerry, freely available to the medical community."-Publisher description. Free Medical Calculator Apps (Meharry LibGuides) - "LibGuides is an easy to use Content Management System used by many thousands of libraries worldwide. Librarians use it to curate knowledge and share information by creating online Guides on any topic, subject, course, on any process, on anything."-Publisher's description.
UpToDate Calculators – (Subscribed resource)Some of the calculators include: Cardiology, Critical Care, Emergency Medicine, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, Hepatology, General Surgery, Hematology, Hospital Medicine, Nephrology, Neurology, Obstetrics, Oncology, Pediatrics, Primary Care, Pulmonology, and Rheumatology.
EBM Books (Subscribed resources)
How to Read a Paper: the Basics of Evidence Based Medicine – 2nd edition, 2000. Evidence-Based Medicine Toolkit (2002) – 1st edition, 2002. Evidence-Based Medicine Toolkit (2006) – 2nd edition, 2006. Users’ Guides to the Medical Literature: a Manual for Evidence-Based Clinical Practice – 2nd edition, 2008.