mission and values
Our Mission Statement:
True to its heritage, the Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry exists as a center of excellence to improve the oral health and overall healthcare of minority and under served communities, with special emphasis on providing opportunities for African Americans, other people of color and individuals from disadvantage backgrounds by; sustaining an excellent learning environment that promotes inter-professional collaboration, humanistic patient centered care, community service, and research that fosters the elimination of health disparities.
Our Vision Statement:
To identify, mentor, train and educate a diverse group of the next generation of dental practitioners, faculty and researchers, placing special emphasis on African Americans and other people of color from disadvantaged backgrounds, who will lead our communities nationally and internationally in the advancement of oral health care.
The School of Dentistry has adopted values to support the mission and vision. The values that support the mission and vision include:
- Excellence- continuous pursuit of excellence, with measurable results, in all we do
- Respect- valuing every individual in a humanistic environment that fosters fairness
- Integrity- honesty and adherence to the highest standards of ethics and professional conduct of our profession
- Accountability- demonstrating responsibility for our actions and decisions
- Teamwork- Sense of Family, relying on partnerships with others to accomplish shared goals
- Service- embracing and demonstrating social responsibility- concern for the dignity, rights, wellness and welfare of others