Meharry Geriatric Education Center
A collaboration of Meharry Medical College, Tennessee State University, and Vanderbilt University, the Meharry Consortium Geriatric Education Center (MCGEC) provides training for health professional students, faculty, and practitioners who provide geriatric care.
Through classroom training, lunchtime lectures, continuing education programs, and clinical site training, the MCGEC aims to advance the clinical skills of health professionals and achieve positive health outcomes for older adults. MCGEC programs provide inter-professional education with the goal of enabling health professionals to work in interdisciplinary teams to provide evidence-based, patient-centered care.
The MCGEC is one of 45 Geriatric Education Centers federally funded by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Bureau of Health Professionals.
- To improve the training of health professionals in geriatrics, including geriatric residencies, traineeships, or fellowships;
- To develop & disseminate curricula relating to treatment of the health problems of the elderly;
- To support the training and retraining of faculty to provide instruction in geriatrics;
- To support continuing education of health professionals who provide geriatric care;
- To provide students with clinical training in geriatrics in nursing homes, hospitals, ambulatory care centers, and senior centers.