Anger is a normal human emotion. It is how we handle our anger that is important. The following questionnaire can help you know if you need to make some changes in the way you approach situations when you are angry.
Answer true or false to the following statements:
1. When I am angry I sometimes grit my teeth or get headaches.
2. Stomachaches are common for me when I am angry.
3. When I am angry, I feel like running away or withdrawing.
4. I feel depressed, guilty, or anxious when I experience anger.
5. I yell or scream at others when I become angry.
6. I often deal with my anger by using alcohol or drugs.
7. I abuse others or myself when I am angry.
8. My anger affects my ability to sleep.
9. My anger becomes too intense.
10. People who know me are concerned about my anger.
11. I sometimes look for people to get angry at or hurt.
12. I often wish I had medication to control my anger.
13. I hold my anger inside and do not deal with it.
14. I am not aware of feeling anger.
If you answered "true" to any of these statements you may want to explore the ways you identify and manage your anger. Speaking to a personal counselor can be very helpful in learning about your anger responses and triggers as well as anger management techniques.
For more information on our anger management classes, please call 615.891.2922.