New Students Arrive With Anticipation
Meharry welcomes its new and returning medical, dental, and graduate students for the academic year, 2013-2014. The official start of the new school year begins with Convocation, Monday, October 14, 2013.
Facts about the 2013 incoming class of Meharry students:
School of Medicine
• Year-to-date applications were up 4 percent in 2013 (5,473) over 2012 (5,303) for 105 available seats.
• Top states providing students for the Medical School Class of 2017: Tennessee 15, Alabama 9, Florida 8, Maryland 8, and Georgia 7. Canada is home to 5 students.
• Of the Medical School Class of 2017, 57 percent of the 105 students are female and 43 percent are male. Seventy-two percent are African American, 8 percent white, 6 percent Hispanic, and 14 percent Asian/Asian Indian.
School of Dentistry
• Total applications received in 2013 numbered 1,721. Sixty-two were admitted.
• Of the Dental Class of 2017, 35 are female and 27 are male. Forty are black, 9 are white, 9 are Hispanic and 4 are Asian.
• The 2013 overall GPA average is 3.24 up from the 3.20 average in 2012.
• Top states providing students for the Dental School Class of 2017 are: Georgia 10, Tennessee 9, Texas 7, Florida 7, North Carolina 5 and New York 3.
School of Graduate Studies and Research
The SOGSR welcomes 70 new students in 2013.
• Nine entering students are working toward the Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences.
• Seventeen new students are working toward the MSPH (Master of Science in Public Health).
• Forty-four beginning students are working toward the MHS (Master of Health Sciences) .
• SOGSR students come from Tennessee, California, Washington, Wisconsin, Alabama, and Georgia.