Effective Date: January 2, 2014
Last Reviewed: July 1, 2015
Interim Date: July 21, 2015
The purpose of this policy is to provide guidance to Meharry Medical College (MMC) and the faculty investigators so as to maximize faculty development and outcomes of intramural pilot/dissertation research funding. It also seeks to make all stakeholders equally aware of the processes and to make them transparent.
The purpose of intramural research grants is to provide:
- Pilot funding in order for faculty to obtain preliminary data to support an extramural research grant application, or
- Funding for dissertation research; however, the faculty mentor (not the student) must apply for the intramural grant.
Intramural pilot/dissertation research funding is not to be used primarily to fund
A final progress report must be submitted by all recipients of intramural pilot/dissertation research funding. In addition, it is expected that pilot projects with positive outcomes will result in extramural research grant applications. Dissertation research should result in manuscripts and/or extramural research grant applications. Failure to submit final progress reports, extramural research grant applications (when warranted) and manuscripts will be grounds for ineligibility for future intramural research funding.
All applications, without exception, for intramural pilot/dissertation research funding must be accompanied by the Meharry Submission Form for Pilot Funding (see Exhibit 1) that specifies exactly why these funds are requested. Justifications may include, for example:
- preliminary data for a planned extramural application
- the need for extra personnel for an ongoing and funded project that is being taken into a new direction
- funding of dissertation research where the student has obtained or applied for stipend-only extramural funding
All extramural and intramural research grant applications must be routed to the Grants Management Office in the Office for Research after the chairperson(s) signature for the establishment of an MMC grants control number. This control
This policy is currently awaiting approval. You can view the interim policy to the right or by clicking here.