Female Tissue Acquisition Core
The Female Tissue Acquisition Core (FTAC) helps to promote translational clinical research at Meharry Medical College and elsewhere by providing well characterized and archived tissue from female patients, particularly minority races. The tissue collected from routine surgical resections of consented female patients includes, but is not limited to, uterus, ovaries, cervix, vagina, breast, fallopian tubes, and placenta; with matching normal control whenever possible. Tissue is made available fresh, snap frozen, or in various fixatives. The Core provides histology services; such as paraffin embedding, sectioning, automated Hematoxylin and Eosin staining, frozen sectioning, and immunostaining in conjunction with Translational Pathology Shared Resources (TPSR), Meharry Medical College.
Meharry Medical College Female Tissue Acquisition Core is funded by the RCMI Grant (5G12 MD007586-29NIH / NIMHD).
In brief, Female Tissue Acquisition Core provides the following services:
- Collection and storage of human tissue from Nashville General Hospital
- Distribution of fresh, frozen, and paraffin-embedded tissue to approved investigators
- Tissue processing, including embedding
- Sectioning of frozen and paraffin-embedded tissues
- Routine staining, including H&E and Immunostaining